Monday, October 24, 2011

Leftovers that keep going...and going...and going....

Last night we had oven roasted chicken for dinner.  I buy 2 whole chickens and simple rinse and dry then add spices and salt and pepper.  Every time I make them, I use a different spice or herb.  Sometimes it's paprika, and sometimes poultry seasoning.  We love rosemary and occasionally, I'll go all out and stuff the chickens with onions and oranges and thyme then make a tasty honey and orange glaze.  But more often than not, we go simple and cheap. 

Yesterday's chickens were smothered with Montreal Chicken seasoning.  I always add butter too.  It makes for great sauce, which my kids love over their rice!  I bake them at 400 degrees for 1hour and 30 min.  Then lower the oven temp to about 325 until they reach an inner temp of 190.

This has become one of our family favorites.  All of the children (even the super picky one) manage to clean their plate on chicken and rice night.  I love it. 

Since we make 2 chickens, hubby has a nice big breast to take for lunch the next day, and I have plenty for the next nights dinner (and then some.)

Tonight, we had chicken tacos.  Here's how I made them.

I take the whole carcass leftover from the night before (2 of them) and the extra meat and boil it in a large stock pot.  Tonight I added a couple of tablespoons of taco seasoning to the water.  It gave the chicken a really great taco flavor.  I boil for almost 2 hours (the longer the better), then remove all of the meat from the bones and discard the bones.  I saved all of the tasty broth for tomorrows dinner!!

Now shred up the chicken with 2 forks and add to a skillet.  I added 1 onion and sauteed for about 15min with 2 more tablespoons of taco seasoning, and a couple of ladles full of that tasty broth.

Cut up an shred all of your favorite taco fixings and then serve!! 

So easy and fast.  And we still have leftovers for hubby's lunch tomorrow!!

That's a way to make a meal stretch for a couple of days!!

It really makes me feel great that I am able to make the groceries last as long as I can.  What are some of your favorite leftover meals??

Blessings,
Crunchy Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment