Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Favorite Fall Recipe #1

The leaves are rapidly changing color over here on the east coast and I can't tell you enough how much I really love this time of year.  I am in constant awe of God's beautiful creation!!  It becomes hard for me to drive because I am so distracted by all of the different colors of trees.  Purple, red, yellow, orange, even HOT PINK!!  I just can't stop looking! 

Along with the change of colors, comes the cooler weather!  And with cooler weather comes the tasty soups that I love so much.  Here are 2 recipes for you to try.  One is for a pot roast and the other for soup.  I always make double for my family and stretch it for about 3 days!!  Less work for me and we always save money!

Pot Roast

This has to be the easiest recipe ever. 

4lbs of Chuck Roast
2 15oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 large onion diced
2 cups of baby carrots
1 tblsp of minced garlic
salt and pepper

Toss the diced onion on the bottom of a 6 qt. slow cooker.  Cut the chuck roast into about 3 inch pieces (this helps it to get nice and tender!)  Arrange the roast pieces on top of the onions.  Salt and pepper the meat very good.  Rub garlic over the meat.  Pour the cans of tomatoes over the meat and cook on low for 8 hours! The last hour add the carrots and cook untill they are soft.  You can add potatoes or celery if you want.  We keep it simple on this night and save the leftovers for the best beef veggie soup ever!!

Enjoy!!

The next day my husband will take a bit of the leftovers for his lunch at work.  I use the rest for the soup for that night!

Now for the soup...

Leftover Pot Roast
1 large container of chicken broth
1 bunch of celery
1 bunch of kale
extra carrots
thyme fresh stem
oregano
basil
bay leaf
rosemary fresh stem
celery salt
salt and pepper

Get your large stock pot and add the leftover meat and juices.  Cook until warm!  Add the celery (leaves too) and extra carrots to the pot.  Then add the chicken broth.  Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.  Add the stems of fresh thyme and rosemary.  Then add 1 tsp of each of the others.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Remove the ribs from the kale and chop coarsely.  Add to the pot and simmer for 15 min!  Savor the flavor!!! 

I hope these recipes find their way into your recipe box.  Add and delete anything you want and just experiment!! 

Take some time to enjoy the changes of the season. 

Blessings,
Crunchy Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment